jetspeed tutorial error during build
Dahl, Sandra
2009-08-31 21:39:28 UTC
I am working through the jetspeed tutorial building jetexpress using java 1.6, m2eclipse and maven 2.2.1. I'm new to maven so please forgive me if this is easy to resolve and please let me know if you need additional information. The following error occurs when jetexpress project Is compiled:
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO] jetexpress portal project
[INFO] jetexpress portal
[INFO] jetexpress portlet application
[INFO] Building jetexpress portal project
[INFO]
[INFO] Id: com.tdiinc:jetexpress:pom:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] task-segment: [compile]
[INFO] Building jetexpress portal
[INFO]
[INFO] Id: com.tdiinc:jetexpress-portal:war:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] task-segment: [compile]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [jetspeed-deploy:deploy]
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO] jetexpress portal project ............................. SUCCESS [0.000s]
[INFO] jetexpress portal ..................................... FAILED [0.891s]
[INFO] jetexpress portlet application ........................ NOT BUILT
[ERROR]

The following mojo encountered an error while executing:
Group-Id: org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2
Artifact-Id: jetspeed-deploy-maven-plugin
Version: 2.2.0
Mojo: deploy
brought in via: POM

While building project:
Group-Id: com.tdiinc
Artifact-Id: jetexpress-portal
Version: 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
From file: C:\Program Files\eclipse\workspace\jetexpress\__rootArtifactId__-portal\pom.xml
Reason: Artifact org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:jetspeed-layouts:war dependency not defined

Here is the POM.xml in jetexpress-portal project:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file
distributed with this work for additional information
regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file
to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
"License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
software distributed under the License is distributed on an
"AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the
specific language governing permissions and limitations
under the License.
--><project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">

<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<prerequisites>
<maven>2.0.9</maven>
</prerequisites>

<artifactId>jetexpress-portal</artifactId>
<name>jetexpress portal</name>
<parent>
<groupId>com.tdiinc</groupId>
<artifactId>jetexpress</artifactId>
<version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
</parent>

<packaging>war</packaging>
<dependencies>
<!-- jetspeed compile time dependencies -->
<!--
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed-api</artifactId>
<version>${org.apache.portals.jetspeed.version}</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed-portal</artifactId>
<version>${org.apache.portals.jetspeed.version}</version>
</dependency>
-->
<!-- jetspeed war dependencies -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed-dependencies</artifactId>
<version>${org.apache.portals.jetspeed.version}</version>
<type>pom</type>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed</artifactId>
<version>${org.apache.portals.jetspeed.version}</version>
<type>war</type>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.pluto</groupId>
<artifactId>pluto-container-api</artifactId>
<version>${org.apache.pluto.version}</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
</dependencies>

<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed-deploy-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${org.apache.portals.jetspeed.version}</version>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>deploy-jetspeed-layouts</id>
<goals>
<goal>deploy</goal>
</goals>
<phase>process-resources</phase>
<configuration>
<targetBaseDir>${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}</targetBaseDir>
<destinations>
<local>WEB-INF/deploy/local</local>
</destinations>
<deployments>
<deployment>
<artifact>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:jetspeed-layouts:war</artifact>
<destination>local</destination>
</deployment>
</deployments>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed-layouts</artifactId>
<version>${org.apache.portals.jetspeed.version}</version>
<type>war</type>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</plugin>
<plugin>
<configuration>
<warName>${pom.artifactId}</warName>
<!--<overlays>
<overlay>
<id>jetspeed1</id>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed</artifactId>
<includes>
<include>decorations/layout/css/**</include>
<include>decorations/portlet/clear/**</include>
<include>decorations/portlet/decorator.vm</include>
</includes>
</overlay>
<overlay>
<id>jetspeed2</id>
<groupId>org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2</groupId>
<artifactId>jetspeed</artifactId>
<excludes>
<exclude>*.jsp</exclude>
<exclude>ajax/**</exclude>
<exclude>decorations/**</exclude>
<exclude>images/**</exclude>
<exclude>javascript/**</exclude>
<exclude>WEB-INF/pages/**</exclude>
<exclude>WEB-INF/min-pages/**</exclude>
</excludes>
</overlay>
</overlays>-->
</configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>

</project>

Sandi Dahl<mailto:***@TDIinc.com>, Software Engineer | TDI Inc.<http://www.tdiinc.com/> | 17255 N 82nd Street, Scottsdale AZ 85255| P: 480.538.7747 | F: 480.515.7447

________________________________
Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee. If the reader is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or the agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by return email or telephone immediately. Thank you.
David Sean Taylor
2009-09-01 00:16:57 UTC
Post by Dahl, Sandra
[...]
From file: C:\Program Files\eclipse\workspace\jetexpress
\__rootArtifactId__-portal\pom.xml
Reason: Artifact org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:jetspeed-layouts:war dependency not defined
I just tested it myself here, and (obviously, Im a committer) it
worked for me. I am trying to see what is different, some
observations..:

1. don't use C:\Program Files or any directly with spaces when using
Maven. It should work but personally I've never had much luck with it.
So just put your workspace and Tomcat in somewhere like /java/projects
or something similar

2. My Maven version is 2.0.10 -- I haven't tested the build against
the new 2.2 of Maven yet, it really shouldn't be a problem though

See if that helps if not we can look into it deeper...
Dahl, Sandra
2009-09-03 19:38:28 UTC
Thanks for the suggestions. I have moved tomcat, eclipse workspace and maven outside of the program files directory and they are located on c:\. I have also run with maven 2.0.10.

I have resolved many issues and this was showing the log:
Sep 3, 2009 8:42:43 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:jetexpress' did not find a matching property

Along with this:
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: starting initialization of Portlet Application at: jetexpress-pa
Sep 3, 2009 11:22:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet application at: jetexpress-pa. Starting back ground thread to start when the portal comes online.

I read the SetPropertiesRule warning above may be fixed by running on Tomcat 6.0.14. After trying this, the warning went away but the INFO messages still appear and the portal is not started. There are no additional error or warning messages in the log files.

I'm wondering if I've missed a necessary step. The database I'm using is MS SqlServer and the database is already seeded (the same database works running against the Jetspeed demo). When
mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=all
is run, there is always an error in the database step and the script quits running.
mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=install runs successfully.
I then run
mvn jetspeed:mvn -Ddeploy-pa and deploy-portal

1. How can the create-schema.sql and drop-schema.sql scripts be replaced so target=all will run without error?
2. How do I run all the steps in target=all except seeding the database?
3. Any other ideas on what is causing custom portal to not be deployed properly?

I don't know what else to try since there are no helpful messages in the log files.

Thanks!
Sandi
[...]
From file: C:\Program Files\eclipse\workspace\jetexpress
\__rootArtifactId__-portal\pom.xml
Reason: Artifact org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:jetspeed-layouts:war dependency not defined
I just tested it myself here, and (obviously, Im a committer) it
worked for me. I am trying to see what is different, some
observations..:

1. don't use C:\Program Files or any directly with spaces when using
Maven. It should work but personally I've never had much luck with it.
So just put your workspace and Tomcat in somewhere like /java/projects
or something similar

2. My Maven version is 2.0.10 -- I haven't tested the build against
the new 2.2 of Maven yet, it really shouldn't be a problem though

See if that helps if not we can look into it deeper...

Email secured by Check Point

David Sean Taylor
2009-09-03 20:36:17 UTC
Post by Dahl, Sandra
Thanks for the suggestions. I have moved tomcat, eclipse workspace
and maven outside of the program files directory and they are
located on c:\. I have also run with maven 2.0.10.
Sep 3, 2009 8:42:43 AM
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context}
Setting property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:jetexpress'
did not find a matching property
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: starting initialization of Portlet
Application at: jetexpress-pa
Sep 3, 2009 11:22:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet
application at: jetexpress-pa. Starting back ground thread to start
when the portal comes online.
This means the portal failed to start, and the portlet application
goes into a loop trying to register itself with the portal. The log
files will have the reasons for why the portal didn't start...
Post by Dahl, Sandra
I read the SetPropertiesRule warning above may be fixed by running
on Tomcat 6.0.14. After trying this, the warning went away but the
INFO messages still appear and the portal is not started. There are
no additional error or warning messages in the log files.
I'm wondering if I've missed a necessary step. The database I'm
using is MS SqlServer and the database is already seeded (the same
database works running against the Jetspeed demo). When
mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=all
is run, there is always an error in the database step and the script quits running.
If that fails no point in going on.
Post by Dahl, Sandra
mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=install runs successfully.
I then run
mvn jetspeed:mvn -Ddeploy-pa and deploy-portal
1. How can the create-schema.sql and drop-schema.sql scripts be
replaced so target=all will run without error?
Something is failing in the database connection when these scripts are
run, it should print out to your console
Post by Dahl, Sandra
2. How do I run all the steps in target=all except seeding the
database?
3. Any other ideas on what is causing custom portal to not be
deployed properly?
My guess is something not working in the database connection, maybe a
missing driver in the classpath, or even a problem with MS SQL scripts
Post by Dahl, Sandra
I don't know what else to try since there are no helpful messages in the log files.
The logs and console output should have enough information to help.
Lets take a step back and try using the default Derby database. If
that works then we can dig deeper into MS SQL

Edit the jetspeed-mvn-settings.xml and make these changes, note that
the database URL should point to some directory on your drive

<org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.groupId>org.apache.derby</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.groupId>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.artifactId>derby</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.artifactId>

<org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.version>10.3.2.1</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.version>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.default.name>derby</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.default.name>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.url>jdbc:derby:/java/
database/test/jetspeed/derby/productiondb;create=true</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.url>

<
org
.apache
.jetspeed
.production.database.driver>org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.driver>

Then try running

mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=all

again, and when it bombs out check the command window for the full
message and send it to the list. You might need to increase the size
of your command buffer in windows
Dahl, Sandra
2009-09-03 21:16:14 UTC
Here is the result using derby:
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO] jetexpress portal project
[INFO] jetexpress portal
[INFO] jetexpress portlet application
[INFO] Building jetexpress portal project
[INFO] task-segment: [org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:jetspeed-mvn-maven-plugin:2.2.0:mvn] (aggregator-style)
[INFO] [jetspeed:mvn]
[INFO] Resolved target(s) order: [install-portal, install-pa, install, db-portal, db, deploy-portal, deploy-pa, all]
[INFO] Executing target: install-portal
[INFO] Invoking target install-portal: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\pom.xml clean install
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Building jetexpress portal
[INFO] task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] Deleting directory C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\target
[INFO] [resources:resources {execution: default-resources}]
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\src\main\resources
[INFO] [jetspeed-deploy:deploy {execution: deploy-jetspeed-layouts}]
[INFO] Deploying to targetBaseDir C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\target\jetexpress-portal-1.0-SHAPSHOT
[INFO] deploying to local: jetspeed-layouts.war
[INFO] [compiler:compile {execution: default-compile}]
[INFO] No sources to compile
[INFO] [resources:testResources {execution: default-testResources}]
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\src\test\resources
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile {execution: default-testCompile}]
[INFO] No sources to compile
[INFO] [surefire:test {execution: default-test}]
[INFO] No tests to run.
[INFO] [war:war {execution: default-war}]
[INFO] Packaging webapp
[INFO] Assembling webapp[jetexpress-portal] in [C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\target\jetexpress-portal-1.0-SHAPSHOT]
[INFO] Processing war project
[INFO] Copying webapp resources[C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\src\main\webapp]
[INFO] Processing overlay[ id org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:jetspeed]
[INFO] Webapp assembled in[31375 msecs]
[INFO] Building war: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\target\jetexpress-portal.war
[INFO] [install:install {execution: default-install}]
[INFO] Installing C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\target\jetexpress-portal.war to C:\Maven\.m2\repository\com\tdiinc\tutorials\jetexpress-portal\1.0-SHAPSHOT\jetexpress-portal-1.0-SHAPSHOT.war
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO] Total time: 56 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Sep 03 14:11:07 MST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 24M/43M
[INFO] ...SUCCESS.
[INFO] Executing target: install-pa
[INFO] Invoking target install-pa: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\pom.xml clean install
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Building jetexpress portlet application
[INFO] task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] Deleting directory C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\target
[INFO] [resources:resources {execution: default-resources}]
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\src\main\resources
[INFO] [compiler:compile {execution: default-compile}]
[INFO] Compiling 1 source file to C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\target\classes
[INFO] [resources:testResources {execution: default-testResources}]
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\src\test\resources
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile {execution: default-testCompile}]
[INFO] No sources to compile
[INFO] [surefire:test {execution: default-test}]
[INFO] No tests to run.
[INFO] [war:war {execution: default-war}]
[INFO] Packaging webapp
[INFO] Assembling webapp[jetexpress-pa] in [C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\target\jetexpress-pa]
[INFO] Processing war project
[INFO] Copying webapp resources[C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\src\main\webapp]
[INFO] Webapp assembled in[78 msecs]
[INFO] Building war: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\target\jetexpress-pa.war
[INFO] [install:install {execution: default-install}]
[INFO] Installing C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\target\jetexpress-pa.war to C:\Maven\.m2\repository\com\tdiinc\tutorials\jetexpress-pa\1.0-SHAPSHOT\jetexpress-pa-1.0-SHAPSHOT.war
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO] Total time: 2 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Sep 03 14:11:11 MST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 14M/26M
[INFO] ...SUCCESS.
[INFO] Executing target: install dependent on [install-portal,install-pa] ONLY: all done
[INFO] Executing target: db-portal dependent on [install-portal]
[INFO] Invoking target db-portal: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\jetspeed-mvn-portal-pom.xml db
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Building Jetspeed-2 Maven Invoker Configuration for My Portal
[INFO] task-segment: [process-resources]
[INFO] [jetspeed-db:init {execution: unpack}]
[INFO] [jetspeed-db:init {execution: execute-sql}]
[INFO] Running sql scripts against: jdbc:derby:/derby/jetexpress;create=true for user:
[INFO] Executing SQL script file: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\target\ddl\derby\drop-schema.sql
[INFO] Executing SQL script file: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\target\ddl\derby\create-schema.sql
[INFO] [jetspeed-db:init {execution: seed}]
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.jetspeed.components.JetspeedBeanDefinitionFilter).
##### platform = Hsqldb
[INFO] creating clients, mediatypes and mimetypes
[INFO] creating principals and permissions
[INFO] creating permissions
[INFO] creating profiling rules and user profiling rules
[INFO] creating entities
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO] Total time: 36 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Sep 03 14:11:47 MST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 21M/38M
[INFO] ...SUCCESS.
[INFO] Executing target: db dependent on [db-portal] ONLY: all done
[INFO] Executing target: deploy-portal dependent on [install]
[INFO] Invoking target deploy-portal: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\jetspeed-mvn-portal-pom.xml deploy
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Building Jetspeed-2 Maven Invoker Configuration for My Portal
[INFO] task-segment: [process-resources]
[INFO] [jetspeed-unpack:unpack {execution: unpack-appserver}]
[INFO] [resources:resources {execution: resources}]
[WARNING] File encoding has not been set, using platform encoding Cp1252, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-portal\src\conf
[INFO] Copying 1 resource to ../resources
[WARNING] While downloading xml-apis:xml-apis:2.0.2
This artifact has been relocated to xml-apis:xml-apis:1.0.b2.

[INFO] [jetspeed-deploy:deploy {execution: deploy}]
[INFO] Deploying to targetBaseDir c:\apache-tomcat-6.0.14
[INFO] deploying to lib: portlet-api_2.0_spec-1.0.jar
[INFO] deploying to lib: ccpp-1.0.jar
[INFO] deploying to lib: jetspeed-api-2.2.0.jar
[INFO] deploying to lib: jetspeed-commons-2.2.0.jar
[INFO] deploying to lib: pluto-container-api-2.0.0.jar
[INFO] deploying to lib: pluto-taglib-2.0.0.jar
[INFO] deploying to lib: portals-bridges-common-1.0.4.jar
[INFO] deploying to system: derby-10.3.2.1.jar
[INFO] deploying to war: jetexpress (expanded)
[INFO] deploying to context: jetexpress.xml
[INFO] deploying to war: j2-admin.war
[INFO] deploying to server-lib: apa-logging-1.0.jar
[INFO] editing in server-conf: server.xml using ServerXMLConfigurer.verifyAndConfigureServerXML()
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO] Total time: 18 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Sep 03 14:12:06 MST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 10M/19M
[INFO] ...SUCCESS.
[INFO] Executing target: deploy-pa dependent on [install-pa]
[INFO] Invoking target deploy-pa: C:\eclipseWorkspace\jetexpress\jetexpress-pa\jetspeed-mvn-pa-pom.xml deploy
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Building Jetspeed-2 Maven Invoker Configuration for My Portlet Application
[INFO] task-segment: [process-resources]
[INFO] [jetspeed-deploy:deploy {execution: deploy}]
[INFO] Deploying to targetBaseDir c:\apache-tomcat-6.0.14
[INFO] deploying to war: jetexpress-pa (infused, expanded)
Found WEB-INF/portlet.xml
Found web.xml
Attempting to add portlet.tld to war...
Adding portlet.tld to war...
Attempting to add portlet_2_0.tld to war...
Adding portlet_2_0.tld to war...
Creating war C:\DOCUME~1\SDahl\LOCALS~1\Temp\jetexpress-pa-1.0-SHAPSHOT.war.infused-905850823820826403 ...
War C:\DOCUME~1\SDahl\LOCALS~1\Temp\jetexpress-pa-1.0-SHAPSHOT.war.infused-905850823820826403 created
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Sep 03 14:12:07 MST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 4M/8M
[INFO] ...SUCCESS.
[INFO] Executing target: all dependent on [install,db,deploy-portal,deploy-pa] ONLY: all done
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO] Total time: 1 minute 58 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Sep 03 14:12:07 MST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 5M/9M

Sandi

David Sean Taylor
2009-09-03 22:32:01 UTC
Looks like everything BUILT SUCCESSFUL

Have you tried starting up Tomcat ....

There are several log files of interest (if it fails to start) under
Tomcat's logs directory:

jetspeed*.log, look for any files > 0 bytes
localhost.2009-09-03.log (assuming you are running today)
catalina.2009-09-03.log
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
Sandi
Dahl, Sandra
2009-09-08 14:53:51 UTC
Yes, everything appears ok for the build however, jetexpress will not start. I deleted the jetexpress folders in webapps and work directories before the build. An error is logged when tomcat is first launched in eclipse but after researching the problem for several hours, I found the error goes away when eclipse is restarted after the build target=all. Here is the error that goes away by restarting eclipse:
2009-09-08 07:45:20,398 [main] ERROR org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine - org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'PlatformConfigurator' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/assembly/boot/datasource.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.MetadataException: Could not get the metadata from the given datasource
2009-09-08 07:45:20,398 [main] ERROR org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet - Jetspeed: init() failed:
org.apache.jetspeed.exception.JetspeedException: Jetspeed Initialization exception!
at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.start(JetspeedEngine.java:142)
at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.init(JetspeedServlet.java:208)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1161)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:981)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4045)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4351)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:719)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:516)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'PlatformConfigurator' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/assembly/boot/datasource.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.MetadataException: Could not get the metadata from the given datasource
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1338)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:473)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:429)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:728)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:380)
at org.apache.jetspeed.components.SpringComponentManager.start(SpringComponentManager.java:297)
at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.start(JetspeedEngine.java:119)
... 18 more
Caused by: org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.MetadataException: Could not get the metadata from the given datasource
at org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.JdbcMetadataUtils.fillJCDFromDataSource(JdbcMetadataUtils.java:277)
at org.apache.jetspeed.components.rdbms.ojb.DatabasePlatformConfigurator.init(DatabasePlatformConfigurator.java:70)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeCustomInitMethod(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1414)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1375)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1335)
... 32 more
Caused by: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1150)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
at org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.JdbcMetadataUtils.fillJCDFromDataSource(JdbcMetadataUtils.java:261)
... 40 more
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.getProtocol(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:507)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.knownURL(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:476)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.acceptsURL(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:307)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:253)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1143)
... 42 more

After eclipse is restarted, the browser shows: HTTP Status 404 - /jetexpress/portal and there are no errors in the log files. Here are the logs.
Catalina.log:
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:56 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_13\bin;.;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\apache-maven-2.2.1\bin;C:\Program Files\apache-ant-1.7.1\bin;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_13\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;I:;I:\Bin;C:\CT Media\Shared Files;C:\CT Media\Client\Bin; C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn;C:\TDIProjects\Liberation 6000 Development\C++\CURL\curl-7.10.3;C:\TDIProjects\boost_1_33_0;C:\Program Files\Sleepycat Software\Berkeley DB 4.3.28\bin\debug;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\Dialogic\CT Media\Shared Files\;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;C:\mysql\bin;C:\Program Files\Sleepycat Software\Berkeley DB 4.3.28\bin;C:\Program Files\Sleepycat Software\Berkeley DB 4.3.28\bin\debug;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\WinNT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;C:\Program Files\Object Connect\Smalltalk MT 5.5\TDI\VSS\SymposiumACM\dll
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:56 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:56 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 262 ms
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:56 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:56 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.14
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/16 config=null
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 1467 ms

Localhost.log:
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:56 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: starting initialization of Portlet Application at: j2-admin
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet application at: j2-admin. Starting back ground thread to start when the portal comes online.
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: initialization done for Portlet Application at: j2-admin
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: attemping to start Portlet Application at: /j2-admin
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet application at: j2-admin. Starting back ground thread to start when the portal comes online.
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
Sep 8, 2009 7:34:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()

There is nothing in the other log files.

Thanks for your help!
Sandi

2009-09-08 16:43:39 UTC
Sandra,

Please check the database configuration in
$(CATALINA_BASE}\conf\Catalina\localhost\jetspeed.xml, (the file might
be named jetexpress.xml depending on the build). It appears that
something has gone wrong in the deployment part of the build. Although
more things could be broken, you could attempt to edit that file in
place and see if the portal starts up.

Let us know how you fare,

Randy
Dahl, Sandra
2009-09-16 19:29:53 UTC
Here is an update to this thread just in case someone else is having the same problem I had. My environment to build the tutorial is:
Eclipse 3.4.2
M2eclipse plug-in 0.9.8
Maven 2.0.10
Tomcat 6.0.20

When I ran mvn target=all in eclipse, the console showed the build was successful and there were no errors. However, this message was repeated in the console and jetexpress never started:
Post by Dahl, Sandra
Application at: jetexpress-pa
Sep 3, 2009 11:22:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet
application at: jetexpress-pa. Starting back ground thread to start
when the portal comes online.
When a browser was opened to http://localhost:8080/jetexpress/portal, it returned 404.

After trying many things and help from Randy Watler at Hippo, I found there were two versions of m2eclipse plug-in installed. I uninstalled everything except Maven Integration for Eclipse (required). I also attempted to uninstalled Maven Embedder but that is still installed - not sure why. Once there was only one version of the maven plug-in installed, the build ran successfully and jetexpress was deployed correctly to tomcat.

Hope this helps someone else because tracking this down took way too long.
Sandi